Goals dominated the last matchday before Christmas to determine who spends the holidays in which position. Here is what went down on matchday 14 of the 20/21 season of the Premier League.
- Crystal Palace 0-7 Liverpool
- Southampton 0-1 Manchester City
- Everton 2-1 Arsenal
- Newcastle United 1-1 Fulham
- Brighton and Hove Albion 1-1 Sheffield United
- Spurs 0-2 Leicester City
- Manchester United 6-2 Leeds United
- West Brom 0-3 Aston Villa
- Burnley 2-1 Wolves
- Chelsea 3-0 West Ham United
The Title Race is Blown Wide Open
Although Liverpool managed to climb back to the top of the Premier League table, the title race still seems quite open. The big teams in the division, Manchester United and City, Spurs and Chelsea are of course in the mix. However, Arsenal are 15th and 4 points away from the relegation zone.
The likes of Everton and Leicester City are in contention for a top-four finish, whereas the Europa League spots are being competed for by West Ham United, Aston Villa and Southampton.
Player of the Week
Scott McTominay (Manchester United)
The Scottish midfielder was on fire right from the get-go, netting two goals in three minutes to give United the early advantage and effectively seal their victory against bitter rivals Leeds United.
The 24-year-old later provided an assist for Daniel James, who scored after 33 appearances in a Manchester United shirt. His overall performance in the decimation of Leeds United makes McTominay the player of the week ahead of many deserving candidates.
In the Spotlight:
- Edouard Mendy keeping another clean sheet for Chelsea as they beat West Ham 3-0.
- Ashley Barnes scoring a goal for Burnley after almost a year.
- Spurs losing two matches in a row to halt their run of form, with their defeat against Leicester at home.
- Manchester City having the best defensive record in the division after a shaky defense at the start of the season.
- Liverpool knocking Crystal Palace for 7 goals in their own stadium.
- Arsenal, in 15th place, with 1 point from their last 5 games.