The American semiconductor giant Qualcomm announced the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor at the Snapdragon Tech Summit 2021 in Hawaii.
The latest generation Qualcomm silicon represents a considerable improvement over the predecessor (Snapdragon 888 series) and enables devices to function more effectively in terms of battery consumption, increased image processing, on-device machine learning, and AI-based activities than ever before.
Qualcomm has stated that the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor would be available in most premium Android phones from Xiaomi, Oppo, OnePlus, Motorola, Vivo, and Realme in 2022.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1: Key Features to Be Aware Of
1) A 4nm class chipset is built on 64-bit architecture. It has Kryo cores, including one prime Cortex-X2 core with a peak clock speed of up to 3.0GHz, three performance cores based on Cortex-A710 at 2.5GHz, and four cores based on Cortex-A510 at 1.8GHz.
2) When compared to its predecessor, the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 claims 20% higher performance and 30% greater power efficiency.
3) It has the Qualcomm AI Engine 7th Generation, which allows ultra-advanced AI use cases across the board while running up to 4x quicker than the predecessor. Furthermore, the Qualcomm Hexagon Processor has fused accelerator architecture, which includes a 2x faster tensor accelerator and a 2X bigger shared memory.
4) It has Snapdragon Elite Gaming, which offers a full suite of desktop-level functionality, including volumetric rendering for hyper-realistic images. The redesigned Qualcomm Adreno GPU is 25% more efficient and enables 30% quicker graphics rendering. It also has an Adreno Frame Motion Engine, which helps to generate twice as many frames while keeping power consumption to a minimum.
5) It has Snapdragon Sight, Qualcomm’s first-ever always-on 18-bit ISP, which allows the phone to record 4000 times more camera data than its 14-bit predecessors. It also allows the device to record 8K HDR video and very low-light images. In addition, Mega Low Light Mode takes 30 photographs and blends the best elements into a single shot for brighter, clearer, and more colourful photos after dark.
6) It enables phones to support HDR10 and HDR 10+ content, as well as up to 10-bit colour depth, 4K, and QHD+ displays with refresh rates ranging from 60Hz to 144Hz.
7) It is equipped with the FastConnect 6900 Mobile Connectivity System. This will allow the device to handle the Wi-Fi 6 and 6E systems, as well as wireless internet rates of up to 3.6 Gbps.
8)The gadget will be able to offer 16-bit 44.1kHz CD-quality Lossless wireless music streaming thanks to Qualcomm aptX Lossless technology.
9) It is equipped with the Snapdragon X65 5G Modem-RF System [8 carriers (mmWave), 2×2 MIMO (mmWave), and 4×4 MIMO (Sub-6)]. As a result, the gadget will be capable of peak download speeds of up to 10Gbps.
10) It will make phones compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge 5 technology (100W plus speed). This implies that a device with a 4,500mAh battery can charge from 0% to 50% in 5 minutes and 100% in under 15 minutes.