The France and PSG superstar Kylian Mbappe turns 24 years today! He was born on 20th December 1998 in Paris, France. He started his playing career with Monaco in 2015 where we won the Ligue 1 title and later joined Paris Saint-Germain. He has been dominating the French league along with his club teammates Neymar and Messi.
The newly turned 24-year-old has also been phenomenal for France. He already has a World Cup title after beating Croatia in the World Cup 2018. He helped France to once again reach the finals of the World Cup 2022 but failed against Messi’s Argentina in the final. However, Mbappe was in terrific form in the tournament and has broken many records.
Kylian Mbappe’s terrific World Cup records
So, as Mbappe turns 24 years old, here we will take a look back at Kylian Mbappe’s top 10 terrific World Cup records.
- Only five players have scored more World Cup goals than the 24-year-old Mbappe (12): Lionel Messi, Just Fontaine (both 13), Gerd Muller (14), Ronaldo (15) and Miroslav Klose (16).
- Only five players have ever scored more goals in a single World Cup tournament than Kylian Mbappe’s eight in 2022: Gerd Muller (10 in 1970), Eusebio (9 in 1966), Just Fontaine (13 in 1958), Sandor Kocsis (11 in 1954) and Ademir (9 in 1950).
- No player has scored more World Cup knockout goals (last 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final) than Mbappe, who is level with Ronaldo on 8.
- Only five players have scored more goals for the French national team than Kylian Mbappe (36), and only Just Fontaine has scored more goals for the French national team at the World Cup. He is also the youngest French player to score at a World Cup.
- Kylian Mbappe was the first player to score eight, nine, 10, 11 and 12 World Cup goals before their 24th birthday.
- Kylian Mbappe was the second teenager to score twice in a World Cup game and the second teenager to score in a World Cup final; Pele was the first to do both.
- Kylian Mbappe is only the second player to score a World Cup final hat-trick, after Geoff Hurst in 1966.
- Kylian Mbappe is only the second player to score in consecutive World Cup final matches, after Vava in 1958 and 1962.
- Only four players have been top scorers at a World Cup tournament at a younger age than Kylian Mbappe (8 goals) in 2022: James Rodriguez was 23 in 2014 (6), Thomas Muller was 20 in 2010 (5), Mario Kempes was 23 in 1978 (6) and Florian Albert was 20 in 1962 (4).
- Kylian Mbappe is the top scorer in World Cup final matches with four goals in 2018 and 2022.