IND vs PAK: In a thrilling clash between cricket titans India and Pakistan at the Asia Cup 2023, the 50-over format proves its mettle once again. With an astonishing 1.5 crore concurrent viewers on Disney + Hotstar, this encounter has reignited the passion for ODI cricket.
Here’s why this match is a game-changer for the format: IND vs PAK
ODI Cricket’s Triumph
- Amid debates on the future of 50-over cricket, the India vs. Pakistan match at Asia Cup 2023 showcased its enduring appeal.
- BCCI Secretary Jay Shah expressed confidence in the success of the 2023 World Cup, and this game gave a glimpse of what’s possible.
- Over 1.3 crore concurrent viewers tuned in to Disney + Hotstar during the first hour of the game.
- Despite rain delays, the viewership surged to an impressive 1.6 crore.
- This viewership spike is significant, considering the recent decline in interest during bilateral series.
Disney + Hotstar’s Role
- Disney + Hotstar offered free mobile live streaming in India, attracting a massive audience.
- Despite free broadcasts on DD Sports, Disney + Hotstar stood out, highlighting the platform’s enduring popularity.
India vs. Pakistan Encore
- With India and Pakistan set to clash again in the Asia Cup and the 2023 World Cup, this rivalry could rejuvenate ODI cricket.
- The format has seen a decrease in matches in the next FTP cycle, but IND vs. PAK encounters could be its saving grace.
A Resurgent Format
- The highest partnership for the fifth wicket or below for India against Pakistan was forged during this match by Ishan Kishan and Hardik Pandya.
- They added 138 runs, guiding India from a challenging position to stability.
- This partnership surpassed the previous record set by Rahul Dravid and Mohammed Kaif in 2005.
- While it’s not the highest overall, it’s a historic feat in Indo-Pak cricket.
Hope for the Format
- The format has suffered due to the popularity of T20s. However, matches like this provide a glimmer of hope.
- Fans continue to appreciate the nuances and extended excitement of ODIs.
- India’s Playing XI: Rohit Sharma (C), Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj.
- Pakistan’s Playing XI: Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam (c), Mohammad Rizwan (w), Agha Salman, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf.
In a world where T20s dominate cricket’s landscape, the India vs. Pakistan clash at the Asia Cup 2023 reminds us that the ODI format still holds a special place in the hearts of fans. With record-breaking viewership and thrilling performances, this match has given the format a new lease on life, setting the stage for an exciting 2023 World Cup.