The transfer window has now closed for the top European leagues, and the squads have been finalised for the next six months at the very least. The 2021 window had unbelievable deals take place, and here are the top ten most expensive transfers.
- 1 10. Martin Odegaard (Arsenal – £31.5m)
- 2 9. Emi Buendia (Aston Villa – £34.56m)
- 3 8. Tammy Abraham (Roma – £36m)
- 4 7. Raphael Varane (Manchester United – £36m)
- 5 6. Dayot Upamecano (Bayern Munich – £38.25m)
- 6 5. Ben White (Arsenal – £52.65m)
- 7 4. Achraf Hakimi (PSG – £54m)
- 8 3. Jadon Sancho (Manchester United – £76.5m)
- 9 2. Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea – £103.5m)
- 10 1. Jack Grealish (Manchester City – £105.75m)
10. Martin Odegaard (Arsenal – £31.5m)
Odegaard spent the latter half of the 20/21 season on loan at Arsenal and decided to move on from Real Madrid for more game time. He is now a permanent member of the Arsenal squad, and is the number 10 that they wanted for so long.
9. Emi Buendia (Aston Villa – £34.56m)
Buendia attracted interest from several top clubs in Europe before making the move from Norwich City to Aston Villa. He is expected to be the replacement for Jack Grealish, and will play a key part in the team this season.
8. Tammy Abraham (Roma – £36m)
After struggling for game time under Thomas Tuchel, Tammy Abraham was courted by Jose Mourinho who convinced him to make the move to Italy. The player has already gotten off the mark under Mourinho and has a buyback clause in his contract as well.
7. Raphael Varane (Manchester United – £36m)
Varane was linked with United for several years before deciding to move on from Real for good. The Frenchman is now a part of a stellar defence alongside Harry Maguire in the back four of United.
6. Dayot Upamecano (Bayern Munich – £38.25m)
Upamecano was one of the first transfers announced for the summer, with the centre-back making the move from RB Leipzig to Bayern, much like Julian Nagelsmann and Marcel Sabitzer.
5. Ben White (Arsenal – £52.65m)
Ben White rose to prominence playing at Leeds United and helping the Yorkshire club to the Premier League after 16 years. After playing for Brighton for one season, he is now the star defender for Arsenal and their most expensive signing of the summer.
4. Achraf Hakimi (PSG – £54m)
Hakimi was sold to PSG after only one year with Inter, and he is one of the two paid signings made by the Ligue 1 club. The Moroccan is set to be the long-term solution for Paris’ right-back position, while Nuno Mendes features on the left side.
3. Jadon Sancho (Manchester United – £76.5m)
A transfer a year in the making, Sancho finally made the move to United after helping Dortmund win the DFB Pokal trophy at the end of the previous season. The former City player has taken up the number 25 shirt and is expected to be a vital part of the squad in the upcoming years.
2. Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea – £103.5m)
Lukaku was scouted by Chelsea at the beginning of the transfer window, but he declined a move since he was happy at Inter. The Inter board needed to cope with their financial struggles and eventually caved in to sell Lukaku to Chelsea for a record fee for both the Blues and the Nerazzurri.
1. Jack Grealish (Manchester City – £105.75m)
Grealish was offered a new contract by Aston Villa if he wished to stay, but Manchester City activated his release clause of £100 million, and he is now the new number 10 at the Etihad. The England international is also the most expensive signing in the Premier League.