Reliance Jio is gearing up for the launch of its wireless internet service, Jio AirFiber, scheduled for September 19. This plan is designed for both residential and commercial users, boasting lightning-fast speeds of up to 1.5 Gbps, allowing for flawless streaming of high-definition videos, online gaming, and seamless video conferencing.
During the 2023 Annual General Meeting (AGM), Mukesh Ambani, the Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries, revealed that Jio AirFiber would be officially introduced on the auspicious occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi. Jio AirFiber comes with a number of features, including parental controls, Wi-Fi 6 support, and an integrated security firewall. Now, let’s look at what distinguishes Jio AirFiber from conventional JioFiber internet access.
What is Jio AirFiber?
Jio AirFiber is a new approach to Jio’s wireless internet services, using 5G technology to provide high-speed internet connectivity. It provides speeds comparable to common fiber-optic connections, with customers able to access speeds of up to 1 Gbps.
Jio emphasizes the simplicity of setting up Jio AirFiber, stating, “You just have to plug it in, turn it on, and voilà! You now have a personal Wi-Fi hotspot in your home, connected to ultra-high-speed internet using True 5G. With Jio AirFiber, connecting your home or office to Gigabit-speed Internet will be a breeze.”
Jio AirFiber vs. JioFiber
- Technology: While Jio Fiber relies on wired fiber-optic cables for its coverage, Jio AirFiber takes a wireless approach using point-to-point radio links. This means Jio AirFiber directly connects homes and offices to Jio through wireless signals, eliminating the need for fiber cables and relying on line-of-sight communication with Jio towers.
- Speed: Jio AirFiber boasts internet speeds of up to 1.5 Gbps, surpassing the 1 Gbps speed offered by Jio Fiber. However, it’s essential to note that the actual speed of Jio AirFiber may vary depending on the proximity to the nearest tower.
- Coverage: Jio Fiber, while offering more extensive coverage, is not available nationwide. In contrast, Jio AirFiber’s wireless technology enables it to provide extensive coverage without being constrained by physical infrastructure limitations.
- Installation: Jio AirFiber is designed to be a plug-and-play solution, making it more user-friendly and accessible to customers. In contrast, Jio Fiber typically requires professional installation.
- Cost: The Jio AirFiber service is expected to be competitively priced, with an estimated cost of around ₹6,000. It may be slightly more expensive than a regular broadband connection due to the inclusion of a portable device unit.