India got its independence from British rule 75 years back. The craze of cricket has been there before independence as well. Cricket has seen a lot of developments since then and in the 2022 edition of the Commonwealth Games, India took part in cricket and received a silver medal.
In this article let’s have a look at the top 10 iconic moments in Indian cricket after independence.
- 1 1. India won its first back-to-back Test series in West Indies and England in 1971
- 2 2. India’s 1983 World Cup win
- 3 3. India’s mini World Cup win in 1985
- 4 4. India won the Test series against Australia in 2001
- 5 5. India won its first-ever T20 in 2007
- 6 6. India was at the No.1 spot in ICC Test rankings for the first time in 2009
- 7 7. India won the 2nd World Cup in 2011
- 8 8. India won the Champion’s Trophy in 2013
- 9 9. India’s first Test victory series against Australia in 2018-19
- 10 10. India’s Test series victory against Australia in 2020-21
- 11 Like this:
1. India won its first back-to-back Test series in West Indies and England in 1971
This was India’s greatest moment in cricket until the 1983 World Cup in. India had its two back-to-back test victories against West Indies and England that helped India to become the Np.1 Test team for 38 years.
2. India’s 1983 World Cup win
This was the first time when India won World Cup under Kapil Dev against West Indies. India defeated the most powerful team of that time, which is the West Indies. Nobody expected India to win, but the players proved everyone wrong.
3. India’s mini World Cup win in 1985
India won the Mini World Cup in 1985, two years after it had bagged the World Cup. Seven teams competed in the 1985 World Championship of cricket that including India, Australia, England, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and West Indies.
4. India won the Test series against Australia in 2001
In 2001, India won the Test series against Australia under the leadership of Sourav Ganguly. Australia’s captain was Steve Waugh and the team was dominant at home and away from home as well. India at that point had a 15-match winning streak and won the 16th Test in India.
5. India won its first-ever T20 in 2007
The first ever T20I was held in South Africa when this format started getting popularity. India was led by MS Dhoni and under his captaincy, the team won the tournament against Pakistan by 5 runs.
6. India was at the No.1 spot in ICC Test rankings for the first time in 2009
India was at the top spot in the ICC rankings for the very first time in June 6, 2009. This was for the teams which were introduced in 2003. This was possible only because of MS Dhoni under whom the team won straightaway four series against Sri Lanka.
7. India won the 2nd World Cup in 2011
India won its second World Cup after 28 years under the captaincy of MS Dhoni in 2011 against Sri Lanka. The finals were held in Mumbai in 2011. Under his leadership, India won another major title.
8. India won the Champion’s Trophy in 2013
India won the Champions trophy for the very first time in 2013 against England under the captaincy of MS Dhoni. the team defeated England to bag the trophy.
9. India’s first Test victory series against Australia in 2018-19
This time, under the leadership of Virat Kohli, India won the Test series against Australia. This seemed impossible but the way India defeated Australia was praiseworthy.
10. India’s Test series victory against Australia in 2020-21
Last but not the least, in India’s Test win against Australia, VIrat Kohli was at paternity leave and the ace bowlers were injured, the victory in these conditions was commendable.