Indian cricket fans are rejoicing as Ravichandran Ashwin, one of India’s star spinners, has overtaken England’s James Anderson to become the world’s top-ranked Test bowler in the latest MRF Tyres ICC Men’s Test Bowling Rankings. Ashwin, who first reached the top spot in 2015, returned to the number one spot following an impressive six-wicket performance in India’s emphatic victory over Australia in the second Test. In contrast, Anderson dropped down to second place after England’s defeat to New Zealand in the Wellington Test.
Ashwin’s excellent performance in India’s recent win against Australia in the second Test helped him secure the top position.
Let’s take a look at the latest rankings and see how the top players are faring : Ravichandran Ashwin Replaces James Anderson at the Top of the ICC Men’s Test Bowling Rankings
- Ravichandran Ashwin – The top-ranked Test bowler has taken six wickets in his most recent performance, helping India clinch an emphatic victory over Australia. The 36-year-old off-spinner has previously held the No. 1 spot and has an opportunity to extend his stay as the best bowler in the world in India’s remaining two Tests on home soil against Australia.
- James Anderson – England’s fast bowler had moved to the top of the rankings after an outstanding performance in the first Test against New Zealand. However, he has since dropped seven rating points to 859 and now sits at second place.
- Pat Cummins – The Australian speedster had briefly held the No. 1 spot before Anderson took over. He is now at third place in the rankings.
- Tim Southee – The New Zealand pacer has climbed two places to fourth after his brilliant performance against England in the second Test. He took six wickets in the match, helping his team secure a famous victory.
- Josh Hazlewood – Another Australian fast bowler in the top five, Hazlewood has been in excellent form in recent times. He played a crucial role in Australia’s win over India in the first Test and is a vital member of the team.
Apart from the top-ranked players, there have been interesting movements in the rankings of other players as well.
- Ravindra Jadeja – India’s all-rounder has moved up the bowling rankings to eighth after his impressive performance against Australia in the second Test.
- Joe Root – England’s skipper has climbed two spots to eighth in the all-rounder rankings. His return to form with the bat in the second Test against New Zealand has helped him move up the rankings.
- Tom Blundell – The New Zealand opener has risen four places to seventh in the rankings after his crucial contribution in his team’s follow-on victory over England in the second Test.
- Harry Brook – England’s young gun has climbed an impressive 15 places to draw level with Virat Kohli in 16th in the batting rankings after his superb century in the County Championship.
Ravichandran Ashwin’s latest feat is a testament to his exceptional skills and consistency. His rise to the top of the rankings is well-deserved, and Indian cricket fans will hope that he continues to perform at the highest level. The battle for supremacy among the top ranked players is set to continue, and we can expect more exciting performances in the upcoming matches.