In yet another major change in Indian cricket, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced that Adidas will be the new apparel sponsor for the Indian cricket team, replacing Killer Jeans. Adidas is expected to take over the sponsorship deal by June 1, 2023. The deal is set to run for a five-year period.
Here is what we know so far: Adidas set to sign as NEW Apparel SPONSOR for Indian Cricket team
- BCCI’s hunt for a major brand sponsor: The BCCI had been on the lookout for a renowned brand to sponsor the Indian cricket team’s apparel, ever since Nike ended its 14-year association with the team in 2020. The deal with Killer Jeans, which took over from MPL Sports, did not add much value to the Indian cricket team or the BCCI’s brand image.
- Adidas’ past cricket sponsorships: Adidas had previously sponsored the Mumbai Indians and the England cricket team. However, the deal with the English team was discontinued, and Adidas currently sponsors only Nottinghamshire, South East Stars, and Surrey.
- The current state of affairs: Killer Jeans is the current kit sponsor of the Indian team. The brand was roped in by the BCCI as a makeshift apparel sponsor for Rohit Sharma and his teammates in a five-month deal which is set to expire at the end of May 2023. Adidas is expected to take over the sponsorship deal by June 1, 2023.
- The length of the deal: According to reports, Adidas’ deal with the BCCI is set to run for a period of five years, from June 2023 to March 2028. The finer details of the contract are still being worked out, but it is believed that the valuation will be significantly higher than Killer Jeans’ deal.
- What this means for the Indian cricket team: With Adidas as their new apparel sponsor, the Indian cricket team will have one of the world’s leading sports apparel brands endorsing their jersey. Captain Rohit Sharma, Kuldeep Yadav, and Rishabh Pant are currently sponsored by Adidas.
This new sponsorship deal with Adidas is sure to bring about a significant change in the Indian cricket team’s apparel. Fans can expect to see a fresh design for the Indian cricket team’s jersey, which will feature the iconic three stripes of Adidas. With the World Test Championship final just around the corner, it will be interesting to see what the new jersey looks like and how it will be received by fans.
Adidas’ sponsorship deal with the Indian cricket team is a significant move for the BCCI in terms of brand image and value. With this deal, the Indian cricket team is sure to look their best on and off the field!