Indian cricket team’s star batter, Shreyas Iyer, has been ruled out of the Indian Premier League 2023 and the World Test Championship final. He has decided to undergo surgery to recover from his back injury, which kept him out of action for the entire IPL season. As per reports, Iyer will be travelling abroad for the surgery and will need a minimum of three months to recover and get back to training.
Here are the major highlights of Iyer’s injury and his absence from the tournaments: Shreyas Iyer Ruled Out of IPL 2023 and WTC Final Due to Back Surgery
- Iyer complained of back pain during India’s tour of Bangladesh and has been suffering from it since then.
- He returned to action during the Border Gavaskar Trophy but faced similar issues during the fourth and final Test of the series in Ahmedabad.
- Iyer has a lower back injury, which has caused a pinched nerve in one of his spine’s discs.
- His right calf has been affected by a nerve that runs along the leg, which has made his challenges even worse.
- Kolkata Knight Riders have appointed Nitish Rana as captain for the upcoming IPL season, in Iyer’s absence.
- Iyer’s absence will be a significant loss for Kolkata Knight Riders, as he was a crucial middle-order batter and had been in good form lately.
- Iyer’s injury will also impact the Indian cricket team’s chances in the World Test Championship final, which is set to be played between India and Australia from June 7 at The Oval in England.
- Kolkata Knight Riders had hoped that Iyer would be able to return for the second half of the IPL season, but his recovery has not progressed as expected.
- Iyer had scored 509 runs at an average of 42.41 in the 2021 IPL season.
- Shreyas Iyer is a key player for India in all formats of the game, and his absence will be a significant blow to the team’s chances in the upcoming tournaments.
Shreyas Iyer Ruled Out of IPL 2023 and WTC Final Due to Back Surgery
Iyer’s absence due to his back surgery is a major setback for Kolkata Knight Riders and the Indian cricket team, as he is a key player for both teams. We hope that he recovers quickly and returns to the field soon.