The T20 World Cup 2022 finally got over with England lifting the Cup for the second time by defeating Pakistan. The eighth edition was unpredictable and full of ups and downs. Pakistan lost the first two matches but still qualified for the finale. England lost to Ireland but beat a strong team like India in the semifinals. Virat Kohli’s performance against Pakistan was epic and will be remembered by fans and the cricket fraternity.
List of Records that were created and broken in T20 World Cup 2022
In this article, let’s check out the records which were created and broken
- Virat Kohli has become the leading run scorer in T20 World Cups with 1141 runs. Second is Mahela Jayawardane.
- Kohli has won the most Player of the match awards which is 7 times, surpassing big names like Chris Gayle and Shane Watson.
- After West Indies, England is the second team to bag two T20 World Cups (2010 and 2022).
- Kohli has smashed 9 half centuries in T20Is in Australia, leaving Aaron Finch and David Warner behind.
- Bangladesh won in the second round of the T20 World Cup for the first time by defeating the Netherlands.
- Sam Curran became the first specialist bowler to grab the Player of the tournament award. Besides, he was also got awarded Player of the match in the finals.
- England is the first team to win both ODI and T20 World Cup. In 2019, they beat New Zealand in the final.
- Virat Kohli mustered four fifty-plus knocks which is the highest in any edition. Along with him, Matthew Hayden in 2007 and Babar Azam in 2021 had mustered the same thing. In fact, in 2014 Kohli himself score a fifty-plus knock as well.
- Sam Curran has now the best bowling figure of 3/12 as a pacer in final surpassing Irfan Pathan and Josh Hazlewood who had the figure of 3/16.
- The Indian skipper has played the highest number of matches in T20 World Cup, which is 39.
- Karthik Mepiyappan and Joshua Little became the fifth and sixth bowlers in the tournament to pick up a hat rick in this event. The other bowlers are Brett Lee, Curtis Campher, Wanindu Hasaranga, and Kagiso Rabada.
- Rohit Sharma has smashed the most number of sixes for India which is 35, second is Yuvraj Singh who has scored 33.
- Indian bowler Bhuvneshwar Kumar has delivered the most maidens (10) in the T20Is.
- Jos Butler and Alex Hales have the highest run stand of 170 runs for any wicket in T20 World Cups. Earlier, Quinton de Kock and Rossouw had a partnership of 168 runs against Bangladesh.
- After Mohammad Rizwan, Suryakumar Yadav became the batter to score 1000 runs in T20I in a calendar year. He’s the first Indian to achieve this.
- Marcus Stonis smashed the fastest half-century in 17 balls for Australia which is the second-highest overall. Earlier, Yuvraj Singh achieved this in 12 balls.
- Rohit Sharma and Shakib-Al-Hasan are the only two players to play for all the editions of the T20 World Cup.
- Virat Kohli is the first player to reach 4000 runs in this format. He also has the most POTM awards (15) in T20I.
- Glenn Phillips is the second player from New Zealand to smash a century, the first being Brendon McCullum.
- England’s victory by 10 wickets against India is the fifth time a team has registered this feat.
- Wanindu Hasaranga has had 15 scalps making him the highest wicket-taker of this edition
- Jos Buttler is the highest run scorer for England, which is 799 surpassing Kevin Pieterson who had scored 580 runs.
- Trent Boult also achieved his career’s best bowling figure which is 4/13.
- Kohli surpassed Sachin Tendulkar to smash the highest number of the fifties (22) in World Cups (ODI and T20 included).
- For South Africa, Anrich Nortje has the best bowling figures of 4/10 in the event. Earlier, Wayne Parnell had the figure of 4/13 against West Indies.
Read more: IPL 2023: Royal Challengers Bangalore trades Jason Behendroff to Mumbai Indians