Indian players for the ODI series like Shreyas Iyer, Shikhar Dhawan and Navdeep Saini tested Covid positive prior to the ODI series against Sri Lanka. Some of the support staff members have also tested positive as per reports. The first match against West Indies is on February 6, Sunday.
The close contacts of the Covid positive players have been isolated as well. Axar Patel, who was a part of the T20 squad has also tested positive and didn’t join the team in Ahmedabad due to isolation. He was replaced by Mayank Agarwal.
Covid Scare in the Indian camp
Yuzvendra Chahal has been isolated since he travelled with Shikhar Dhawan. Navdeep Saini the standby player and Raghu India’s throwdown specialist even tested positive for Covid.
Covid 19 cases Details
- Shikhar Dhawan and Navdeep Saini’s (standby player) RT-PCR tests conducted on Monday (January 31st) have returned positive results.
- Fielding Coach T. Dilip and Security Liaison Officer B. Lokesh’s RT-PCR tests conducted on Monday (January 31st). They have returned positive results.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad’s RT-PCR test was conducted on Tuesday (February 1st)and has returned a positive result.
- Shreyas Iyer and Sports Massage Therapist Rajeev Kumar’s RT-PCR tests were conducted on Wednesday (February 2nd) and have returned positive results. Both had tested negative in the first two rounds of testing.
- The players were in a three-day quarantine at the Hatt Hotel following which they were to begin practice from Thursday. The practice session was cancelled and the Covid positive players were put on a different floor.
What step did BCCI take?
BCCI had refused to charter flights to players and asked them to assemble in Ahmedabad by commercial flights. To avoid this situation, BCCI arranged flights prior to England tour. The ODI series is going to be played behind the doors since India is going through the third wave.