Javier Tebas, La Liga President Wants La Liga Matches in U.S. by The 2025-26 Season

La Liga president Javier Tebas maintains that league matches will be held overseas, aiming for games to take place in the United States starting from the 2025-26 season.

LYNXNPEF1J1OY Javier Tebas, La Liga President Wants La Liga Matches in U.S. by The 2025-26 Season
FILE PHOTO: La Liga President Javier Tebas poses during an interview with Reuters at the La Liga headquarters in Madrid, Spain, October 2, 2018. REUTERS/Paul Hanna

In an interview with Expansion, Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga, talked about the league’s future strategies, such as the potential for official matches to occur overseas and the implementation of goal-line technology.

Read More: Tactical Analysis of the Premier League 2023-24 London Derby: Arsenal vs Chelsea

Javier Tebas Reveals Plans Regarding La Liga Games To Be Held At US

The potential for hosting domestic league matches abroad has grown following FIFA’s removal from a significant lawsuit filed by U.S. events promoter Relevent. In 2018, Relevent was thwarted in its efforts to stage a match between Girona and Barcelona from La Liga in Miami.

Relevent, established by Stephen Ross, owner of the Miami Dolphins, accused FIFA’s 2018 directive of enforcing a monopoly by stipulating that domestic games must be played within their home territories, thus impeding fair competition.

Earlier this month, FIFA and Relevent settled their case without prejudice, allowing Relevent to reopen their litigation if FIFA fails to provide a satisfactory reconsideration of its stance.

I think it could be in the 2025-26 season, but La Liga will play official matches abroad,” La Liga president Tebas told Spanish newspaper Expansion.

3AXO3PXZC5MM3BKWS46ZHWK2ZM Javier Tebas, La Liga President Wants La Liga Matches in U.S. by The 2025-26 Season
Soccer Football – La Liga President Javier Tebas speaks to Reuters about Vinicius Jr and racism – La Liga headquarters, Madrid, Spain – May 24, 2023 La Liga president Javier Tebas during an interview with Reuters. REUTERS/Guillermo Martinez

An official match in the U.S. will strengthen our position in the North American market, which is the second market for La Liga after Spain.”

Tebas said other major leagues were also trying to move domestic fixtures abroad: “Other very competitive leagues are coming so we cannot always do the same thing, but we cannot allow them to overtake us.”

Tebas further stated that La Liga currently has no intentions of implementing goal-line technology, citing a recent controversial incident where Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal’s shot was not recognized as a goal during Real Madrid’s victory in Sunday night’s El Clasico. Despite the use of VAR, officials were unable to definitively ascertain whether the ball had crossed the goal line based on the available replays.

Goal-line technology is not a perfect technology and that is the first reason we don’t have it,” Tebas explained. “But it is not only that: throughout a season, ghost goals happen three or four times and If you add to that that it is not perfect, the cost is very high for the use given to it: it means investing between five and six million for the two divisions to use it once and with no doubts. What I do advocate is to implement more cameras that help the referees.”

Why The La Liga, Spain’s Top Tier League Doesn’t Have Goal-Line Technology

Sunday night’s highly anticipated match in La Liga ended in controversy due to a contentious decision regarding whether Lamine Yamal’s flick crossed the goal line or not at the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. This incident reignited discussions about the absence of goal-line technology in the competition.

O4A6PRX3AJOJBMFHRBL5W5AP3I Javier Tebas, La Liga President Wants La Liga Matches in U.S. by The 2025-26 Season
FILE PHOTO: La Liga President Javier Tebas poses before an online interview with Reuters at the La Liga headquarters in Madrid, Spain January 27, 2021. REUTERS/Susana Vera/File Photo

While goal-line technology is a standard feature in other top European leagues, La Liga has yet to adopt it, primarily citing the considerable cost involved, estimated at €4 million ($4.3 million) annually.

Opponents of implementing the technology, including La Liga president Javier Tebas, argue that it’s an unnecessary expense given the presence of VAR cameras and technology. Despite Sunday’s incident, sources from the league highlighted to Spanish newspaper MARCA that since the introduction of VAR in Spain, nearly 3,000 matches in LaLiga Santander and LaLiga Smartbank have been handled satisfactorily using goal-line cameras and VAR for such situations.

In audio recordings of VAR conversations released by the Royal Spanish Soccer Federation (RFEF) on Monday, referee César Soto Grado is heard saying, “There’s no rush; this is a very important decision,” to which VAR official José María Sánchez Martínez responds, “We confirm there are no more camera angles. Restart play with a corner kick because we don’t have any evidence that the ball has crossed the line; there is no evidence.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More like this

Joan Laporta Slams La Liga: “This Isn’t a Coincidence” As the Barcelona President Accuses League of Undermining the Club

Joan Laporta Slams La Liga: “This Isn’t a Coincidence”...

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has fired back at La Liga after the league released a statement questioning...
La Liga Questions Barcelona’s Financial Maneuvering Over Dani Olmo, Pau Victor Registrations

La Liga Questions Barcelona’s Financial Maneuvering Over Dani Olmo,...

Barcelona finds itself under scrutiny once again as La Liga raises concerns over the club’s financial dealings,...
Osasuna Challenge Barcelona Over Inigo Martinez’s Eligibility Amid Allegations of Rule Violation

Osasuna Challenge Barcelona Over Inigo Martinez’s Eligibility Amid Allegations...

Osasuna have formally appealed to the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), arguing that Barcelona defender Inigo Martinez...
How Good is Dean Huijsen? Why Top Clubs Like Real Madrid Want Him

How Good is Dean Huijsen And Why Top Clubs...

Dean Huijsen struggled to break into Bournemouth’s squad in November, yet this week he was a key...
How to watch 2024/25 La Liga matches LIVE in India?

How to watch 2024/25 La Liga matches LIVE in...

Real Madrid began their La Liga 2024/25 campaign by making bold news through Kylian Mbappe's free transfer...

LATEST NEWS

OnePlus 13T Sets New AnTuTu Record with Over 3 Million Score

The OnePlus 13T is just weeks away from its official launch, but it has already made an impressive appearance on AnTuTu. Well, according to...

ISL 2024-25: Javi Hernandez’s Late Heroics Hand Jamshedpur FC Crucial First-Leg Edge Over Mohun Bagan Super Giant

Jamshedpur FC took a significant step towards the Indian Super League (ISL) 2024-25 final with a dramatic 2-1 victory over Mohun Bagan Super Giant...

Smart Samsung Cooling: Goodbye Sleepless Summers with Style!

Imagine a world where your air conditioner and fan work in perfect harmony, creating the ideal sleeping environment without you lifting a finger. Samsung...

IPL 2025: Venkatesh, Arora Star as KKR Hand SRH Their Biggest-Ever Loss

Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) rediscovered their explosive batting form in Mumbai, while Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) continued their struggles, suffering a third consecutive defeat despite...

Featured