The K-pop industry has been no stranger to controversies, but the ongoing dispute between NewJeans (NJZ) and their agency, ADOR, has taken a dramatic turn. HYBE CEO Lee Jae-sang has come under fire for his alleged remarks regarding the situation, leaving fans furious and flooding social media with their reactions.
But what exactly happened, and why are netizens calling this “nasty work”? Let’s dive deep into the HYBE x ADOR controversy and explore the reactions it has stirred.
Table of Contents
1. The Background: What Led to the HYBE x ADOR Conflict?
The dispute between NewJeans (NJZ) and ADOR traces back to late 2024, when tensions between the girl group and their agency started making headlines.
Key Events Leading to the Controversy
Date | Event |
---|---|
November 2024 | Reports surfaced about NJZ’s unilateral departure from ADOR. |
March 21, 2025 | A Seoul court ruled in favor of ADOR, preventing NJZ from signing ad contracts with third parties. |
March 23, 2025 | NJZ performed at the 2025 ComplexCon festival in Hong Kong and announced their hiatus without consulting ADOR. |
March 24, 2025 | NJZ filed an objection against the court’s ruling. |
March 31, 2025 | HYBE CEO Lee Jae-sang addressed ADOR’s governance and NJZ’s departure during a shareholder meeting. |
With tensions escalating, fans and industry insiders alike were closely watching how HYBE would respond to the issue.
2. HYBE CEO’s Alleged Remarks: A Spark That Ignited the Fire
On March 31, 2025, during a HYBE shareholder meeting in Mapo-gu, Seoul, CEO Lee Jae-sang addressed several company matters, including:
- BTS’ 2025 comeback plans
- A new group debut
- The challenges HYBE faced over the past year
However, what grabbed the most attention was his response to a question regarding the ADOR incident.
The Controversial Statement
When asked about HYBE’s governance plans in relation to the ADOR issue, Lee Jae-sang allegedly stated:
“I said at last year’s shareholders’ meeting that it would take time, but I would respond one by one based on principles. I think the results are coming out one by one.”
Although seemingly neutral, this statement took a more controversial turn when a Korea JoongAng Daily article linked it to NewJeans’ departure, stating that:
- HYBE had taken “disciplined measures” against NJZ.
- The girl group was now “bearing the consequences” of their actions.
This suggestion that HYBE was punishing NJZ did not sit well with fans, leading to a social media explosion.
3. Fan Reactions: “This is NASTY WORK”
The alleged comments quickly went viral, with fans expressing outrage over what they perceived as a deliberate attack on NewJeans. Many took to X (formerly Twitter) to call out HYBE and its CEO.
Fan Comments on X
💬 “This is NASTY WORK. Like disgusting.”
💬 “So he kinda admits that HYBE is after the hate campaign? Too bad Korean judges are too stupid to get it.”
💬 “There is no such order for the girls to ‘return to ADOR and continue their activities as NewJeans’… Media play… LIES!”
💬 “I don’t even like NewJeans, but this man is so sick.”
💬 “Not a fan of NJZ, but there’s no way I’m gonna side with this man.”
The growing belief among fans is that HYBE is orchestrating a media campaign against NJZ, further deepening the divide between the girl group and their former agency.
4. The Bigger Picture: HYBE’s Plans and BTS’ Comeback
While the NewJeans x ADOR drama dominated discussions, the HYBE shareholders’ meeting also brought significant news about BTS’ highly anticipated comeback.
What HYBE CEO Said About BTS
Lee Jae-sang reassured investors and fans that:
🟢 All BTS members (RM, Suga, Jimin, V, and Jungkook) will complete military service by June 2025.
🟢 The group is taking time to carefully plan their comeback.
🟢 Top-tier composers are involved in discussions about their next musical direction.
This news was met with relief and excitement among ARMYs (BTS fans), though the ongoing NewJeans controversy overshadowed the moment.
5. Legal Battle: What’s Next for NewJeans?
As of now, NewJeans is still caught in a legal dispute with ADOR.
🔹 The court has ruled in favor of ADOR, preventing NJZ from independently signing contracts.
🔹 NewJeans has filed an objection, aiming to separate from ADOR entirely.
🔹 The first court hearing regarding NJZ’s contract validity is set for April 3, 2025.
Fans are now eagerly waiting to see whether NJZ will gain independence or remain tied to ADOR under HYBE’s oversight.
6. The Industry’s Take: Media Play or Genuine Business Strategy?
The HYBE x ADOR conflict has also sparked discussions in the entertainment industry, with two major perspectives emerging:
1️⃣ HYBE’s Side: They claim they are following corporate governance principles, and any actions taken were necessary business decisions.
2️⃣ Fans’ Perspective: Many believe that HYBE is using media tactics to damage NJZ’s reputation and pressure them into compliance.
With K-pop fans being highly influential online, HYBE’s reputation may take a hit if they do not address the backlash carefully.
Final Thoughts
The NewJeans x ADOR controversy continues to escalate, with HYBE’s CEO’s alleged remarks fueling the fire. Fans are now more vocal than ever, calling out the entertainment giant for what they perceive as mistreatment of NJZ.
With a crucial court hearing approaching, the future of NewJeans as an independent group hangs in the balance. Meanwhile, HYBE must navigate this controversy carefully to avoid further damaging its reputation.
My Dearest Nemesis Finale: Workplace Rivals to Lovers in Heartwarming K-Drama Conclusion
FAQs
1. Why are fans upset with HYBE regarding NewJeans?
Fans believe that HYBE’s CEO implied that NJZ is being punished for their departure, suggesting a media play and hate campaign against the girl group.
2. Will NewJeans leave ADOR completely?
It depends on the court ruling. The first hearing for NJZ’s contract validity dispute is scheduled for April 3, 2025, and it will determine whether they can legally separate from ADOR.