HS Prannoy defeated second seed Kento Momata in straight games by 21-17, and 21-16 in the second round of the World Championships. He’s set to play against Lakshaya Sen in the pre-quarterfinals. Lakshaya had earlier defeated Luis Penalver 21-17, 21-10. Kidami Srikanth was beaten by Zhao Jun Peng 12-21 and 17-21 in straight games. The men’s doubles pair MR Arjun and Dhruv Kapila defeated Kim Asturp and Anders Rasmussen, moving to the next round.
Prannoy’s win against Momata was the biggest win on Wednesday. Momota got more support from the crowd but still couldn’t win against the Indian player.
Indian players result at Badminton World Championship
- Pooja Dandu / Sanjana Santosh lost to Lee So Hee / Shing Seun Chang (Korea) – 15-21, 7-21
- Ashwini Ponappa / Sikki Reddy LOST to Chen Qing Chen / Jia Yi Fan (China) 15-21, 10-21
- M Arjun / Dhruv Kapila defeated Kim Astrup / Anders Rasmussen – 21-17, 21-16
- Treesa Jolly / Gayatri Gopichand got defeated by Tan Pearly / Tinnah Muralitharan 8-21, 17-21
- Kidambi Srikanth lost to Zhao Jun Peng – 12-21 and 17-21
- Lakshya Sen defeated Luis Penalver – 21-17, 21-10
- Ashwini Bhat / Shikha Gautam got defeated by Kim So Yeong / Kong Hee Yong 5-21, 21-18, 13-21
- HS Prannoy defeated Kento Momota 21-17, 21-16
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy / Chirag Shetty defeated Solis Jonathan / Anibal Marroquin 21-8, 21-10
In the last match, Pranoy was at his best, his aggression helped him to finish odd the points quickly. The lack of longer rallies didn’t help Momota’s cause.
Prannoy had a very clear plan of attacking and he had executed that. Momota at times threw challenges but later Prannoy smashed every time.
Lakshaya’s victory was different since his opponent Luis Penalver wasn’t a big name. The Indian player didn’t have to fight hard against his fellow opponents.
Men’s double pair of M Arjun and Dhruv Kapila defeated Kim Astrup / Anders Rasmussen 21-17, 21-16. On the other way, Tressa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand got defeated by Pearly and Tinnah Muralitharan 8-21, 17-21. In men’s doubles, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy / Chirag Shetty defeated Solis Jonathan and Anibal Marroquin 21-8, 21-10. There has been a lot of disappointment in women’s doubles. Pooja Dandu and Sanjana Santosh got defeated by Lee So Hee and Shing Seun Chang of Korea 15-21, 7-21. Ashwini Ponappa and Sikki Reddy got defeated by Chen Qing Chen and Jia Yi Fan from China 15-21, 10-21.