After celebrating India’s 75th Independence Day, all the Indians woke up to very bad news on the 16th of August 2022. FIFA has decided to place a ban on the All India Football Federation (AIFF) citing the reason “undue influence from third parties, which constitutes a serious violation of the FIFA Statutes”.
However, FIFA will lift the ban as soon as AIFF complies with FIFA policies. FIFA statement confirms: “The suspension will be lifted once an order to set up a committee of administrators to assume the powers of the AIFF Executive Committee has been repealed and the AIFF administration regains full control of the AIFF’s daily affairs.”
The ban on AIFF by FIFA has some adverse effect on Indian Football immediately. Let’s take a look at them.
- 1 1. Gokulam Kerala FC will not be able to participate in the AFC Women’s Club Championship
- 2 2. Indian Women’s football team will be out of SAFF Women’s Championship
- 3 3. ATK Mohun Bagan will be out of AFC Cup
- 4 4. Indian Men’s football team will not be able to participate in Vietnam tour
- 5 5. India cannot host the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup
1. Gokulam Kerala FC will not be able to participate in the AFC Women’s Club Championship
India’s Women’s football team, Gokulam Kerala FC has a proud opportunity to represent Indian football in the international club level. They have qualified for the AFC Women’s Club Championship. The team has already travelled to the venue to participate in the tournament. But the sudden FIFA ban on AIFF will force them out of the tournament if AIFF can’t overturn the ban in the next few days.
2. Indian Women’s football team will be out of SAFF Women’s Championship
The SAFF Women’s Championship is scheduled to take place in 6-19 September 2022. But the Indian Women’s football team won’t be able to participate in the tournament if the ban continues.
3. ATK Mohun Bagan will be out of AFC Cup
ATK Mohun Bagan has reached the inter-zonal semi-finals of the AFC Cup and their match is on 7th September, however, their fate also hangs in the balance due to FIFA’s ban on AIFF.
4. Indian Men’s football team will not be able to participate in Vietnam tour
Indian Men’s football team was scheduled to play two international friendlies against Singapore and Vietnam in September. It will also be halted if AIFF can’t overturn the FIFA ban.
5. India cannot host the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup
India has been given the status of the host country for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup which is scheduled to take place in 11-30 October 2022. However, things change after the FIFA ban as India won’t be allowed to host the tournament and participate as well, if the ban is not lifted.