The Indian Premier League (IPL) returned on 26th March for the 15th edition. The opening matches have been played between Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). The former were the defending champions and later were the runners-up.
This year IPL is being played across four venues in Mumbai and Pune which also avoids the risk of the Covid-19 pandemic. This season is also full of thrill and excitement and a huge box of surprises.
However, this time, the format of the game has been tweaked a little with two new teams added to the basket. This format was first introduced in the IPL 2011 season when the tournament comprised 10 teams for the first time as Pune Warriors India and Kochi Tuskers Kerala joined IPL. However, after that, the IPL format was reverted but this season again the old format from the 2011 season has been brought back.
IPL 2022 Format
Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) and Gujarat Titans (GT) have been added to the league and there are a total of 10 franchises. BCCI has changed the format of the league stage. The matches per side in the league stage will be 14 but the 10 teams have been divided into two groups of five.
IPL 2022 Groups
In IPL 2022, 10 teams have been divided into two groups with five teams. Let’s have a look at them.
|Group A||Group B|
|Mumbai Indians (MI)||Chennai Super Kings (CSK)|
|Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)||Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH)|
|Rajasthan Royals (RR)||Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB)|
|Delhi Capitals (DC)||Punjab Kings (PBKS)|
|Lucknow Super Giants (LSG)||Gujarat Titans (GT)|
How the teams have been divided into two groups?
The teams have been divided on the basis of their past performances.
- MI are the number 1 team with five titles and are at the top of Group A
- CSK are at the top of Group B as they have won four titles.
- KKR have won two times and have been placed in Group A.
- SRH with one title have been at the second position in Group B.
- RR are team 5 and they have been placed in Group A.
- RCB is RR’s corresponding side in group B having reached the final three times.
- Delhi Capitals (DC) are Team 7 and in Group A with one final and two playoffs appearances.
- DC’s corresponding side is Punjab Kings in group B with one final appearance.
- LSG are Team 9 and in Group A
- GT are Team 10 and in Group B.
How each team will play their 14 matches?
Each team will play twice with the teams of their own group and with the team in the same row in the next group. Besides also playing once with the rest of the sides in the next group.
Team-wise fixture for IPL 2022
- Two matches against CSK, KKR, RR, DC and LSG
- One match against SRH, RCB, PBKS and GT
Chennai Super Kings:
- Two matches against MI, SRH, RCB, PBKS and GT
- One match against KKR, RR, DC and LSG
Kolkata Knight Riders:
- Two matches against SRH, MI, RR, DC and LSG
- One match against CSK, RCB, PBKS and GT
- Two matches against KKR, CSK, RCB, PBKS and GT
- One match against MI, RR, DC and LSG
- Two matches against RCB, MI, KKR, DC, LSG
- One match against CSK, SRH, PBKS and GT
Royal Challengers Bangalore:
- Two matches against RR, CSK, SRH, PBKS, GT
- One match against MI, KKR, DC and LSG
- Two matches against PBKS, MI, KKR, RR, LSG
- One match against CSK, SRH, RCB, GT
- Two matches against DC, CSK, SRH, RCB and GT
- One match against MI, KKR, RR and LSG
Lucknow Super Giants:
- Two matches against GT, MI, KKR, RR and DC
- One match against CSK, SRH, RCB, PBKS
- Two matches against LSG, CSK, SRH, RCB, PBKS
- One match against MI, KKR, RR, DC
How will teams qualify for playoffs?
All the teams will play 14 matches in total in the league stage. In total 70 matches will be played in the league stage of IPL 2022. After the completion of 70 matches, four teams with the highest points will be qualifying for the playoffs.