Kylian Mbappe has been named the Men’s Player of the Year in the Globe Soccer Awards 2021. The Frenchman was the top scorer in Ligue 1 last year, and has continued his goalscoring form this season as well.
Although he had a disappointing campaign with France in Euro 2020, he came back strong with a number of impressive outings for the national team after the tournament. As a result, he has been recognised as the player of the year by the awarding body.
Robert Lewandowski wins 2 Globe Soccer Awards
The Bayern Munich and Poland striker has been named the fan’s Player of the Year, and has also won the Maradona award for scoring the most goals in 2021.
He ends the year with 69 strikes to his name, having broken Gerd Muller’s record of scoring 42 goals in one calendar year in the Bundesliga as well.
Chelsea win club of the year
After a massive turnaround following the arrival of Thomas Tuchel, Chelsea won the Champions League this summer. They have been one of the best defensive sides in Europe this year, and have been named the club of the year.
Italy & Mancini recognised for their achievements
After failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, Italy have come back strong and won the 2020 Euros under Roberto Mancini. The Italy national team coach has also been named the coach of the year after helping the team win the Euros after 54 years.
Here are the other awards given out during the Globe Soccer Awards ceremony:
- Top Scorer of All Time – Cristiano Ronaldo
- Best Agent of the Year – Federico Pastorello
- Best Sporting Director of the Year – Txiki Begiristain (Man City)
- Best Defender of the Year – Leonardo Bonucci
- Best Goalkeeper of the Year – Gianluigi Donnarumma
- Women’s Club of the Year – Barcelona
- Women’s Player of the Year – Alexia Putellas
- Innovation Award – Serie A