Icarus, a survival game, had a big weekend launch, but it was a bumpy ride for players who encountered optimization issues, crashes, and issues with the game’s offline mode. RocketWerkz, the game’s developer, has been hotfix and patching the game all week, and another major patch went live this weekend.
First, three new prospects have been added for those who have completed any or all of the missions in Icarus. In Fire Walk, players must recover a bio-weapon that was dropped on the planet’s surface, in Wet Work, you must eliminate yet another large predator, and in Solid Metal, you must gather resources, process them, and load them into drop pods for extraction into space.
And there’s good news for everyone who has died on the planet and tried to reclaim stuff from their corpses: it should be a lot easier now. Until today, finding your corpse (or the loot bag that represents it) was a pain—the map doesn’t zoom in close enough, making it difficult to pinpoint the exact location of your death icon, and dense foliage is excellent at hiding everything from animal carcasses to the sack of loot you drop when you die.
There will now be an in-game marker to show your loot bag, removing the need to rely solely on the map. Compass waypoint icons have been enlarged, and player icons have been improved in general. Other highlights from the patch notes include more gold spawning, two new items (a hammer and a campfire) that can be crafted in the space station workshop, and the fixing of problems that might prohibit players from finishing the missions El Camino and Desert Expedition.
I’ve been having a lot of fun with Icarus, and I’ve discovered that after the first grind to level up, starting over on each new mission isn’t quite as monotonous as I feared. I still despise and fear bears, but at least now I’ll be able to find my body if they murder me.
Here are the complete Icarus patch notes:
- Added three new missions, FIRE WALK: DELIVERY, WET WORK: EXTERMINATION, and SOLID METAL: STOCKPILE.
- Added two new workshop items, the MXC Hammer, and the MXC Campfire.
- Increased frequency of gold spawns.
- Increased meta deposit quantities on harder missions.
- Added in-world marker for player loot-bags.
- Improved map player icons. Added support for colors. Icon’s get smaller when zooming right into the map. Made compass waypoint icon bigger.
- Added Scrolling with a mouse wheel now works on talent views with no zoom enabled
- Added Scroll bars on talent views are correctly hidden when they aren’t needed (Player & Blueprint only need one)
- Added HUD window to display connectivity status information.
- Added additional connectivity information to the escape menu.
- Added button to allow players to cancel out of a save prompt on leaving their prospect.
- Changed prospect notifications will now forcefully appear on the screen if it contains unclaimed resources/items
- Changed electrical wall and ceiling lights to no longer require shelter.
- Changed Cooking Station to no longer require fuel.
- Improved accolade popup notification window and added images.
- Improved locomotion animations for Buffalo and Wild Boar.
- Updated HUD. Now Talent and Blueprint point always show if any are available.
- Decreased movement speed while carrying animal carcasses (-10%/-20%/-30% depending on size).
- Removed Fog Of War on Outposts.
- Updated translation information for Asian and European languages.
- Fixed issue with El Camino mission which could prevent it from progressing.
- Fixed issue with Desert Expedition mission which prevented players from continuing if they left the game during the boss fight.
- Fixed several issues relating to reloading mission state.
- Fixed issue with scanned meta-deposits not reloading properly.
- Fixed issue where cosmetic rain was not applying effects correctly.
- Fixed issue with some accolades where the quantities in descriptions were incorrect values.
- Fixed issue with mislabelled Cougar accolade.
- Fixed issue where Coal Ore could be taken off-world.
- Fixed issues where some electrical wires could not be deleted.
- Fixed issue where some outposts were missing their map image
- Fixed issue where players could use invalid characters in naming their outposts.
- Fixed issue with ‘If It Works’ talent where knives can split trees but don’t grant wood on auto-collect.