When users use the screenshot program, preview application, or the printer or scanner in the system preferences on the Mac, they may receive an error prompt. This prompt will show that the user does not have permission to open this application.
The user needs to contact the computer or network administrator for help. The beginning of the error message is “You do not have permission to open the application”.
IT Home has learned that some Mac users affected by this error have shared the problem in places such as the Apple Support Community and Reddit. This error seems to affect users who are running multiple macOS Big Sur versions.
In this regard, Apple said that this error is expected to be resolved in the next software update, but did not give a specific time.
Simultaneously Apple gave a temporary solution to the problem as well:
- Quit any open application
- From the menu bar of the Finder, select Go> Go to Folder
- Enter/Library/Image Capture/ Devices, and then Press Enter;
- In the opened window, double-click the application mentioned in the error message;
- Close this particular window and open the application used for scanning. After this a new scan should proceed normally. If the user later chooses to scan from a different application and gets the same error, repeat these steps, you will surely get it.
Hopefully, Apple gets it right and sorts this out, but it is good that they have specified the alternatives to it.