AMD’s FSR open sources are now available on GPUOpen under the license of MIT. For now, a sample can be accessed easily as for the full source code we can get it on GitHub. We have already seen previously that a game developer managed to already add FSR to Grand Theft Auto V without having the full source code. And no finally that the source is available it will be easier for developers to add mods to the game.
There are also lots of documentation shared by AMD, as to how FidelityFX Super Resolution will work. Most of the documents can be found on the GPUOpen page.
FidelityFX Super Resolution is a spatial more upscale: it works by taking the current anti-aliased frame and upscaling it to display resolution without relying on other data such as frame history or motion vectors.
At the heart of FSR is a cutting-edge algorithm that detects and recreates high-resolution edges from the source image. Those high-resolution edges are a critical element required for turning the current frame into a “super-resolution” image.
FSR provides consistent upscaling quality regardless of whether the frame is in motion, which can provide quality advantages compared to other types of upscale.
FSR is composed of two main passes:
- An upscaling pass called EASU (Edge-Adaptive Spatial Upsampling) also performs edge reconstruction. In this pass, the input frame is analyzed and the main part of the algorithm detects gradient reversals – essentially looking at how neighboring gradients differ – from a set of input pixels. The intensity of the gradient reversals defines the weights to apply to the reconstructed pixels at display resolution.
- A sharpening pass called RCAS (Robust Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening) extracts pixel detail in the upscaled image.
FSR also comes with helper functions for color space conversions, dithering, and tone mapping to assist with integrating it into common rendering pipelines used with today’s games.
According to AMD, developers should keep in mind three key aspects when accounting for FidelityFX Super Resolution:
- the image should be well anti-aliased with techniques like TAA or MSAA;
- the image should be generated with negative MIP bias to increase texture detail
- the image should be noise-free.
Advanced Micro Devices, also confirmed that its FSR will specifically come to four new games in the future. these games are Arcadegeddon and Necromunda: Hired Gun which is getting the FSR update starting tomorrow, and the FidelityFX Super Resolution will come for Resident Evil Village and Edge of Eternity in the next two weeks.
FSR is now available in a special preview beta branch of Unity 2021.2 HDRP.