The European Championships are now officially underway, and the best national teams across the continent are now competing to see who the best of the best is.
As a sign of the times, let’s take a look at the most valuable players in each of the participating teams. The value quoted is their market value, which has been taken from Transfermarkt.
Without any further ado, here are the most valuable players from the 24 teams..
24. Finland: Teemu Pukki – €7m
23. Hungary: Willi Orban – €16m
22. North Macedonia: Eljif Elmas – €17m
21. Wales: Gareth Bale & Dan James – €18m
20. Russia: Aleksandr Golovin – €28m
19. Ukraine: Ruslan Malinovskyi – €30m
18. Switzerland: Dennis Zakaria & Manuel Akanji – €30m
17. Denmark: Christian Eriksen – €40m
16. Czech Republic: Tomas Soucek – €40m
15. Sweden: Dejan Kulusevski & Alexander Isak – €40m
14. Croatia: Mateo Kovacic – €45m
13. Turkey: Caglar Soyuncu – €45m
12. Austria: David Alaba – €55m
11. Poland: Robert Lewandowski – €60m
10. Slovakia: Milan Skriniar – €60m
9. Scotland: Andrew Robertson – €65m
8. Italy: Nicolo Barella – €65m
7. Spain: Marcos Llorente – €80m
6. Portugal: Bruno Fernandes – €90m
5. Germany: Joshua Kimmich – €90m
4. Netherlands: Frenkie de Jong – €90m
3. Belgium: Kevin De Bruyne & Romelu Lukaku – €100m
2. England: Harry Kane – €120m
1. France: Kylian Mbappe – €160m
According to the stats, exactly 50% of the participating teams have a player valued above €50 million. And the most valuable player participating in the tournament is Kylian Mbappe of France, valued at €160 million. He, along with England captain Harry Kane and Belgian duo Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku make up the group of players valued in excess of €100 million.