Despite this season’s IPL coming to a halt in between there have been some mind boggling performances from some players earning them their long awaited India debut.
The India team is all set to tour Sri Lanka for 3-One Day Internationals and 3- T-20 internationals. Five of the players who are set to make debut for India on the basis of their IPL performance are:
1) Devdutt Padikkal: The left handed opening batsman from Karnataka who certainly impressed everyone with his performances in the Indian Premier League is now about to debut for India.
In his 2 seasons for Royal Challengers Bangalore he has played in 21 matches and have managed to score an impressive 668 runs for his team. In the process of amassing these runs he has scored 5 fifties and 1 century in the process. In his current season in IPL 2021 he has scored 195 runs in 6 matches until now. He’ll certainly be the one SL will be looking out for.
2) Ruturaj Gaikwad: Another opening batsmen called up for national duty on the basis of IPL performance is Ruturaj Gaikwad who currently plays for Chennai Super Kings.
In 13 matches he has scored 400 runs including 5 fifties at an average of 36 which is remarkable considering he still has a long way to go yet.
3) Krishnappa Gowtham: The 32 year old all rounder from Karnataka is also now ready for his long awaited India Debut. Chennai Super King’s costliest player this season is an well known proper all rounder grabbing 13 wickets and 183 runs in total 24 matches.
4) Varun Chakaravarthy: Another noteworthy mention among debutants is Varun Chakaravarthy who previously missed his chance to debut for India in the England and Australia tours citing fitness issues. The leg spinner will certainly get his ODI cap this time hopefully.
He has managed to grab 25 wickets in 21 matches while he grabbed 7 wickets in 7 matches in IPL 2021 this season.
5) Chetan Sakariya: The spearhead pacer for Rajasthan Royals has really thrived for the Royals taking 7 wickets in 7 matches. However, it may seem that the pacer has finally received some good news since his father’s recent demise. Hopefully the player will be able to keep his morale up and prove to be vital for his country.
While some key players will not be joining the rest of the India team, Shikhar Dhawan will be leading India in both the formats and Rahul Dravid will be coaching the Indian National team for the whole tour.
India’s ODI and T20i squad:
Shikhar Dhawan (Captain), Prithvi Shaw, Devdutt Padikkal, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Suryakumar Yadav, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Nitish Rana, Ishan Kishan (Wicket-keeper), Sanju Samson (Wicket-keeper), Yuzvendra Chahal, Rahul Chahar, K Gowtham, Krunal Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Varun Chakravarthy, Bhuvneshwar Kumar (Vice-captain), Deepak Chahar, Navdeep Saini, Chetan Sakariya