Finally, we got the confirmation, the next Battlefield game is going to be named Battlefield 2042 and it’s gonna launch in October 2021. The game’s environment is set in the near future. Take a look at some important facts:
- The maximum number of player count has been doubled to 128 on new consoles and PC.
- There are now categories that feature specialists. Every specialist has their own back story and unique gadgets but yes, you can carry any gun.
- Some gadgets will be features such as a grappling hook, a movement sensor, an auto-turret, a health/revive gun.
- 10 specialists will be featured at the launch time.
- All post-launch maps will be free.
- Everyone will have a wingsuit.
- You can purchase battle passes.
- Some vehicles feature spotter seats.
- No battle royale but yes there are some mystery modes.
- No single-player campaign.
Doubled the Player
Now, coming to the changes, the most noticeable change is 128 players in a match. It is the first time Battlefield is moving from its 64-player standard which was created 19 years ago with Battlefield 1942. This increased player count will be welcomed by bigger maps that are divided into sectors.
There are different specialists having their unique stories which remind a bit of Rainbow Six Siege. At the launch time, there will available 10 specialists in Battlefield 2042, which means 10 unique abilities and gadgets which can be combined with any gun.
Till now, DICE has unveiled four specialists and those are:
Wikus “Casper” Van Daele
Birthplace: South Africa
Specialty: OV-P Recon Drone (what it sounds like, a remote control spotting drone)
Trait: Movement Sensor (he is alerted to people sneaking up behind him, at least if they move too fast)
Specialty: Grappling Hook (the “zip and you’re there” kind, not the swinging kind)
Trait: Nimble (he moves fast)
Specialty: S21 Syrette Pistol (heals or revives from a distance, like Doc in Rainbow Six Siege)
Trait: Combat Surgeon (revives teammates to full health, instead of partial health)
Pyotr “Boris” Guskovsky
Specialty: SG-36 Sentry Gun (like Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch’s turrets)
Trait: Sentry Operator (sentry guns are more effective when he’s nearby)
Battlefield 2042 Modes
It is confirmed that this Battlefield doesn’t offer battle royale mode and neither single-player mode, but yes, you can play multiplayer-style matches against the bots and can progress that way. One mode is named Hazard Zone which will be a high-risk and squad-focused mode. Another mode is said to be revealed at EA Play Live on July 22.
The maps are really huge and cool, featuring big destruction set-pieces such as the rocket on Orbital. EA has explained all the maps that are going to be available at the launch.
- Kaleidoscope: Set in Sogdo, South Korea. Forces here will clash to control a quantum powered disinformation hub after an attack threatens the global network.
- Manifest: Set in Brani Island, Singapore. Players will see a strategic flashpoint emerge as global trade chokes this location which is vital for the American supply lines.
- Orbital: Set in Kourou, French Guiana. The battle here is over a rocket launch site as a controversial space launch becomes a race against time.
- Discarded: Set in Alang, India. Here you see shipbreakers facing tidal extremes as factions fight to secure rogue nuclear assets.
- Renewal: Set in the Eastern Desert, Egypt. Players will fight for a groundbreaking agriculture technology centre in the Egyptian Desert.
- Hourglass: Set in Doha, Qatar. Shifting sands and a lost shipping convoy tear a city center apart.
- Breakaway: Set in Queen Maud Land, Antarctica. Struggle over oil and gas that pushes soldiers to the brink as an industry clashes with nature and ice gives way
Pre-launch and Post-launch Plans
In early July, there will be a technical test for Battlefield 2042 and before the launch, the Hazard Zone mode will be available. After the betas, the game will be released on October 22 in full. You have to download the PC version from EA’s Origin store, but this time it will also come on Epic Game Store and Steam.
The Xbox Series X|S and the PS5 releases will be the same as the PC version, but the Xbox One and PS4 versions will only support 64 players.