Apple made a huge announcement recently stating that it will be officially launching its new Apple Podcast Subscriptions platform and it will be arriving next week. According to sources, Apple yesterday sent an email to the podcasters and talked about how both the subscription and channels in the Apple Podcasts app will go live on June 15th.
Apple’s original plan was to launch the Apple Podcasts Subscription in May but it was delayed to ensure that the creators and listeners will get the best experience possible. The Cupertino giant also promised to improve its Podcasts app as well after encountering several issues on the iOS 14.5 update.
We’re pleased to share that Apple Podcasts Subscriptions and channels will launch worldwide on Tuesday, June 15.
Other content of the email included links where the podcasters can learn about subscription best practices and guidelines. The company also reportedly shares advice to podcasters to help them make their subscriptions and channels even better. This is what Apple Podcasts Subscriptions are going to offer at launch.
- Apple Podcasts Subscriptions will be available to listeners in over 170 countries and regions in May. Specific software requirements for Apple Podcasts Subscriptions and channels will be shared ahead of availability.
- Pricing for each subscription is set by creators and billed monthly by default. Creators can additionally offer annual billing, which subscribers can manage from their Apple ID account settings, now accessible from Listen Now. Listeners will also be able to access free trials and sample episodes offered by creators.
- Through Family Sharing, up to six family members can share a subscription.
- Listeners will be able to access the enhanced Search tab with Top Charts and categories, new show and episode pages with the Smart Play button, and Saved Episodes on iOS 14.5, iPad 14.5, and macOS 11.3. Saved Episodes are also available on watchOS 7.4 and tvOS 14.5. These software updates will be available next week.
- The Apple Podcasters Program, which includes all of the tools needed to offer premium subscriptions on Apple Podcasts, is available to creators in over 170 countries and regions for $19.99 (US) per year. Creators can enroll in the Apple Podcasters Program today through Apple Podcasts Connect.
- Apple Podcasts features more than 2 million free shows and is available for free on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, HomePod mini, CarPlay, iTunes on Windows, and other smart speakers and car systems.