Bundesliga’s club Schalke, who is in a crisis, has sacked almost their entire sporting team on Sunday, which includes coach Christian Gross after a purported player uprising and their 16th league defeat increased their horrific season deeper into crisis. Their Coach Gross, sporting director Jochen Schneider and team coordinator Sascha Riether were sacked from their duties on Sunday’s extensive clear out.
“The decision had become unavoidable after results against Dortmund and Stuttgart,” said Schalke chairman Jens Buchta in a statement which was followed after Schalke’s 5-1 loss to Stuttgart on Saturday, just a week after they defeated their local rivals Borussia Dortmund.
“The team now owe it to the club and the fans to be as successful as possible in the last third of the season.”
Assistant Rainer Widmayer and fitness coach Werner Leuthard were also fired, who was a part of Gross’ team.
The decision of once a giant Schalke happened due to their standing at the bottom of the league and nine points drifting of safety, with only just winning one match of their 23 league games this season.
Two years ago, having played the Champions League, Schalke is now dashing towards their first expatriation ever since 1988.
Veteran Swiss Gross, who is now 66, had taken over his job for only two months, having taken charge from the interim boss Huub Stevens during the late December to become Schalke’s fourth coach this ongoing season.
After being victorious in his second game in charge, was witnessed Schalke narrowingly avoiding equalling a 54-year-old Bundesliga record of 31 games streak without a win. Still, Gross was absolutely unable to solve the problem and save the team.
Schalke’s 4-0 victory over Hoffenheim is his only win in 10 league games after taking over, as Schalke remained at the bottom of the table.
There were some reports of a player’ revolt against Gross’ management and leadership in the German media during the last week after their Saturday defeat.
Schalke’s Team coordinator Riether played down the rumours and stated of it being “normal that players are disappointed” but also denied the rumours of there being a “revolution” in the dressing room.
Although on Sunday, both Gross and Riether were said goodbye as Schalke made one last desperate decision to save their season.
The club has already started its rebuilding process for the second division, as they handed the over squad planning work to loan director Mike Bueskens and youth director Peter Knaebel.
Two weeks ago, they announced that their sporting director Schneider would be leaving the club at the end of the season, a decision that has now seen with more importance.
Knaebel will now take over “overall responsibility”, with Bueskens, Norbert Elgert, and Gerald Asamoah as support, the club said.
Gross’ replacement as head coach is yet to be announced.