SC East Bengal, previously known as, simply East Bengal, is one of the most historic clubs of India. The club was founded on 1st August 1920. The 100 years old club used to play in I-League until the last season.
At the start of the 2020-21 season, they brought new investors on board, Shree Cement and made their entry into the top-flight of Indian football, Indian Super League.
SC East Bengal was suffering in their initial matches as they went on a winless run for the first 7 matches. Finally, in their 8th ISL match against Odisha FC, they got their first win of the ISL history. They beat Odisha by 3-1.
So here we take a look at the first win of East Bengal in every competition they took part in:
- CFL 1st Division: 2-1 vs Dalhousie (1925)
- Durand Cup: 2-0 vs Army Headquarters (1926)
- Rovers Cup: 6-0 vs Royal Navy (1941)
- Federation Cup: 5-0 vs Rajasthan Police (1978)
- NFL: 3-0 vs Salgaocar (1997)
- Hero I-League: 2-0 vs Viva Kerala (2007)
- Hero ISL: 3-1 vs Odisha FC (2021)
These dates will forever be etched in the history books of East Bengal. They have a glorious past and are on their way to make a future bright.
Even if they are not performing up to the expectations in ISL this season, the club certainly knows how to make it big. So it’s just a matter of few seasons until SC East Bengal are posing as a serious title contender for the Indian Super League.