The last matchday before the international break brought about the classic Premier League experience, and fans were treated to another round of controversy, surprises, penalties and pouring English evenings. Here is what went down on matchday 8 of the 20/21 season.
- Everton 1-3 Manchester United
- Brighton 0-0 Burnley
- Southampton 2-0 Newcastle United
- Crystal Palace 4-1 Leeds United
- Chelsea 4-1 Sheffield United
- West Ham United 1-0 Fulham
- West Brom 0-1 Spurs
- Leicester City 1-0 Wolves
- Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool
- Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa
Match of the Week
Everton 1-3 Manchester United
One of the many big matches of the weekend, there were multiple sources reporting that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job was on the line as United travelled to Merseyside.
However, things turned out alright for the Red Devils as they came back from 1-0 down to beat the hosts 3-1 at the end of the match.
Everton’s Bernard managed to score his first goal for Everton in his first start for the Toffees to open the scoring early. However, Bruno Fernandes headed home a brilliant cross by Luke Shaw to pull things level.
The Portuguese was on the scoresheet again as he lobbed a ball from the edge of the penalty area that missed everyone and found the back of the net after hitting the post.
Fernandes had the opportunity to net a hat-trick but unselfishly passed the ball to Edinson Cavani on the break, who scored his first goal for Manchester United to seal all three points on the day.
Player of the Week
Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
The playmaker turned goalscorer for Manchester United as he netted home two slick goals to rescue his team and save his coach’s job.
His unselfish attitude to get United new boy Cavani off and running in England was a great gestureass well.
Fernandes’ performance in a high-stakes match showed that he has the ability to score goals from open play, as he has been criticised for winning as many penalties as he has since moving to the Old Trafford.
Highs of the Week
- Hakim Ziyech had a great game as he assisted two goals for Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell as Chelsea cruised to a 4-1 win at home.
- Eberechi Eze scoring and assisting one as Crystal Palace beat Leeds 4-1.
- Jack Grealish and Ollie Watkins tearing Arsenal apart in their own backyard as they won 3-0 against the hosts.
- Said Benrahma assisting Tomas Soucek for a late goal as West Ham won the London derby against Fulham.
Lows of the Week
- Patrick Bamford’s goal against Palace being ruled offside for POINTING TO WHERE HE WANTED THE BALL PLAYED.
- Arsenal losing to Villa at home in a dismal display.
- De Bruyne missing a penalty completely, the first since 2018 to draw 1-1 with Liverpool.
- Sheffield United still searching for their first victory of the 20/21 campaign after a great last season.
- Ademola Lookman going for a Panenka against West Ham and completely botching it.
Do check out: