We have seen many rumours regarding Intel’s upcoming Rocket lake CPU, and it seems that the rumours are actually proving to be effective as last week the silicon manufacturer officially announced its Rocket Lake line-up.
The new Rocket Lake family is said to debut in the first quarter of 2021 along with the support for PCIe Gen 4.0. this will be Intel’s long time entry in the desktop-grade CPUs after its Skylake.
According to sources, not all the features of the new Rocket Lake has been provided; however, the features which we got our hands on are given below:
- Supports PCI-e Gen 4.0 interface
- AVX512 can achieve greater performance (But it runs really hot even under 8 cores and leads to higher power consumption)
- Both L1 cache & L2 cache sizes have increased. 10th generation core is L1 32KB / L2 256KB while 11th generation core is L1 48KB / L2 512KB.
- Summary: Although the 11th generation Core is 14nm, there is a real change in performance.
- Architecture has improved gaming performance. It is a lot stronger than the 10th generation Core, but it is still a long way from AMD in Cinebench R20 and R15 (Multi-threading) because core count is still only 8 cores while AMD has up to 16 cores.
- It is effortless to overclock all cores to 5 GHz.
- Drop-in compatibility with Z490 motherboards with PCIe 4.0 support on boards that have the necessary hardware integration. Z490 VRMs are sufficient to overclock the 11th generation.
The 11th Gen Rocket Lake lineup is based on the 14nm process node. The architecture of Rocket Lake, however, is specifically tuned for gaming. This will give Intel a bigger win in-game workloads. The Intel 11th Gen Rocket Lake lineup will max out at 8 cores and 16 threads.
The 11th Gen Intel Rocket Lake CPU lineup will reportedly offer overclocks of 5 GHz on all cores. According to sources, the Core i7 Rocket Lake SKU will cost less than $400 US. The Core i5 Rocket Lake SKUs, on the other hand, will be priced around $250-$300 US or slightly lower.
In the end, we have to wait for Intel to finally launch its Rocket Lake lineup in Q1 of 2021, for any confirmed details.
Do check out: