UEFA Champions is like the World Cup of club football. It is the pinnacle of European club competition. Every club wants to get their hands on this coveted trophy.
Spanish side Real Madrid has won the Champions League the highest no of times (13). There are many records which in all probability will never be broken in the near future.
Here’s a list of the top 10 Champions League records that will never be broken:
10. The longest streak of matches without conceding a goal
Arsenal didn’t concede a goal in the Champions League for straight 10 matches in 2005-06 Champions League. Their streak ended when they lost to Barcelona in the finals by 2-1.
9. The fastest hattrick
Olympique Lyonnais’s Bafetimbi Gomis scored a hattrick within 7 minutes in 2011 against Dinamo Zagreb.
8. The fastest goal
Bayern Munich’s Roy Makaay scored a goal in 10.12 seconds against Real Madrid in 2007.
7. The player with the highest no of goals in a final
Real Madrid’s Hungarian forward Ferenc Puskas scored 4 goals against Frankfurt in a 7-3 win.
6. The top scorer
Cristiano Ronaldo has scored a whopping 130 goals in the Champions League (Manchester United-15, Real Madrid-105, Juventus-10). He is followed by Lionel Messi who has scored 115 goals. But there is a huge gap after that. Raul is in third place with 71 goals.
5. The only coach to win the Champions League three times in a row
Zinedine Zidane was appointed the manager of Real Madrid in the middle of the 2015-16 campaign. He took over the side and guided them to the summit of club football. Many thought it was pure luck and the brilliance of the Real Madrid squad. But Zizou did it again in 2017, winning the Champions League and LaLiga as well. He was starting to get applause from around the world. Then he once again won the Champions League in 2018 and inked his name in the history of football. He is regarded as one of the best managers of world football.
4. The biggest win margin
Dinamo Bucuresti won against the Crusaders by a massive margin of 11-0. It happened in the 1974 Champions League and seems not to be broken in the near future as well.
3. The most goals scored in a match
Feyenoord defeated KR Reykjavik by a scoreline of 12-2 during the 1970 Champions League. The no of goals scored in the match stands at a whopping 14 goals, which is unlikely to be broken.
2.The longest unbeaten streak
Premier League club Manchester United had a 25 match unbeaten streak between September 2007 and May 2009. Their unbeaten streak was ended by a loss to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League final.
1. The club with the most goals in the finals
LaLiga side Real Madrid has played in the final for a record 16 times and has won 13 of them. In all the finals they have scored 60 goals. Their nearest rival on this stat is AC Milan, who has 31 goals across 11 final appearances.
Some bonus facts:
- Benfica has the greatest cumulative score of 18-0 (8-0 in the first leg and 10-0 in the second leg) against Stade Dudelange in 1965.
- Juventus’ Dino Zoff is the oldest player to play in the Champions League final at 41 years and 86 days in 1983 but unfortunately lost to Hamburg.
- PSG scored the most number of goals (25) in the group stage.
- Celtic vs Leeds United semi-final in 1970 had 136,505 spectators which is the highest till now. It is double of the attendance of the Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur 2019 final.
Do check out: