It is like a bonus bonanza for every mobile photographer out there. Now you can click those amazing photos with great quality using the optical zoom technology of oppo. Generally, mid-range phones and most of the flagship phones do not have the periscope lens or optical zoom technology because of its expensiveness.
But technologies are upgrading and in the future, we can see this optical zooming technology in most of the flagship phones and some of the mid-range phones too.
Why makes it so much popular?
There are 3 kinds of zooming technology in cameras.
1. Digital zoom: It is less expensive and every mobile camera uses this type of tech. In this zoom, no hardware is used. Using a software digital zooming is formed. The main problem of this zoom that it will degrade the quality of the image and you will get a blurry image(whether it is 50x zoom or 60x zoom).
2. Optical zoom: It is a more expensive zooming tech. In this tech, no software is used. In that case, an extra lens is used which is known as a telephoto lens or periscope lens. The main advantage of this zoom is it is absolutely lossless. It will not degrade your image quality and you can get a sharp image of your subject. Every DSLR or mirrorless cameras have this kind of technology.some of the high range phones such as I phone 11 pro max has a telephoto lens with 2x zoom.
3. Hybrid zoom: Hybrid zoom is some kind of combined zooming technology mainly used in phones. You can take a scenario like this you are zoom in to a subject with optical zoom, but this is not sufficient zoom to click that shot. Then you can increase the zoom digitally and hence you will get a mixed effect of zooming in your image. The output will not be as sharp as optical zoom.
Oppo comes into the market
For all the advantages of optical as well as hybrid zoom, oppo unveils next-gen periscope cam: 85-135 mm optical zoom, 32 MP Quad Bayer sensor.
- This module features a 7-element lens.
- Adjustable focal length from 85 mm to 135 mm (in 35 mm equivalent).
- Aperture starts at f/3.3 and ends at f/4.4 at the maximum zoom.
- A new 16-bit high precision driver IC will help you to get quick autofocus and optical image stabilization at maximum zooming.
- Also, this camera has a larger sensor with 32 megapixels with a Quad Bayer sensor which means more clarity and sharpness to your image.
- 26 mm wide lens on the main camera, this module offers optical zoom from 3.3x to 5.2x, then hybrid zoom takes that up to just under 11x magnification.