The Taiwanese chip manufacturer adds another chipset to its gaming SoC series, its quite a reformed original Helio G80 with some minor improvements. Built on the same 12 nm process, the chip has a slightly faster CPU and packs a 1GHz GPU.
The chipset has some important improvements including some connectivity optimizations along with upgraded camera sensor support up to 48 MP with enhanced AI features. The MediaTek Helio G85 packs an Arm Mali-G52 GPU with a peak of 1GHz.
The chipset features octa-core CPU integrated with two powerful Arm Cortex-A75 processors that operate at up to 2GHz and six Cortex-A55 processors operating at up to 1.8GHz. It has limited memory support of up to 8 GB LPDDR4x-1800 RAM.
MediaTek’s proprietary HyperEngine Game Technology helps the Helio G85 to achieves a Manhattan benchmark score up to 25fps.
The notable features of the new Helio G85 Gaming Chipset are:
- Incredible AI Camera: The chipset boosts the performance of AI camera tasks such as object recognition (Google Lens), smart photo albums, scene detection and segmentation with background removal, as well as bokeh shot enhancements.
- Multi-Camera Smartphones with Premium Quality: The Helio G85 gives devices makers the opportunity to create a wide range of multi-camera smartphones for more consumer choice. Device makers can design smartphones with any mix of wide-angle, telescopic, macro and sensor sizes up to 48MP. Additionally, the Helio G85 includes a multitude of hardware accelerators, including a hardware depth engine for dual-camera bokeh captures and more. The chipset can also perform ultra-fast recording up to 240fps.
- Integrated Voice Wakeup (VoW): The chipset has built-in VoW capabilities that minimize the power of applications in the Android OS such as the always-on Google Assistant.
- Highly Accurate Inertial Navigation: The Helio G85’s inertial navigation technology provides an accurate location whether users are underground, driving through tunnels or in any other situations where GNSS services are unavailable.
- Dual 4G SIM: With its support for dual 4G SIM, the chipset provides exceptional voice and video call quality via VoLTE/ViLTE services, along with enabling a faster connection setup time, more reliable coverage and lower power consumption from either SIM connection.
The new MediTek SoC supports only up to FHD+ panels with 60 Hz refresh rates which is pretty decent for a budget gaming chipset. MediatTek is already shipping this new SoC to manufacturers and we can expect more smartphones in the budget segment to feature with the Helio G85.
Do check out: