Barcelona appoints head coach of Real Betis, Quique Setién to replace Ernesto Valverde.

Barcelona has sacked their manager Ernesto Valverde and replaced him with the former Real Betis coach Quique Setién.

Valverde, who had been in charge since the summer of 2017, becomes the first manager at the club to be sacked mid-season since Louis van Gaal 17 years ago. He leaves with Barcelona through to the knockout phase of the Champions League as group winners and top of La Liga, which they have won for each of the last two years.

He had six months left on his contract, plus the option for another year after that. Setién has been given a two-and-a-half-year contract until June 2022.

3487 Barcelona appoints head coach of Real Betis, Quique Setién to replace Ernesto Valverde.

After days of openly pursuing replacements, Valverde was finally informed of the club’s intentions on Monday evening. During that time Xavi Hernández and Ronald Koeman, both of whom had expressed their desire to coach the club in the future, turned down the opportunity to take over with immediate effect.

Despite his sacking being an open secret by then, Valverde took charge of the Monday morning training session as normal, as his team returned to work after three days off.

Valverde wrote,
“Dear Barça fans, My time as FC Barcelona coach has come to an end. It has been an intense two and a half years right from the start.
In that time I have enjoyed some joyful moments celebrating victories and trophies but also others that have been tough and difficult.
However, above all, I would like to highlight my experience with the fans and the affection showed towards me during my time as a coach”. He is expected to return on Tuesday morning to say goodbye.

Barcelona appoints head coach of Real Betis, Quique Setién to replace Ernesto Valverde.

Barcelona had hoped and expected to announce the signing of Setién and the departure of Valverde earlier. Reporters outside the Camp Nou following the board meeting they had been told that a statement was expected shortly and that a press conference would be held by the president and the sporting director the following morning.

A club statement read: “Barcelona and Ernesto Valverde have reached an agreement to terminate the contract that united both parties.

48642181 303 Barcelona appoints head coach of Real Betis, Quique Setién to replace Ernesto Valverde.
via Getty Images

“The club publicly expresses its gratitude to Ernesto Valverde for his professionalism, his commitment, his dedication and his always positive treatment towards all that make up the Barça family. We wish him luck and success in the future.”

Valverde won two league titles and the Copa del Rey during his two years in charge but there was criticism of the way his side played and second-leg Champions League defeats at Roma and Liverpool when three-goal first-leg leads were lost in calamitous fashion, weighed heavily. No one fought for him to continue.

Indeed, it surprised many when Valverde signed a new contract last February and when he continued beyond the summer but at that point, he enjoyed the backing of the president.

Barcelona appoints head coach of Real Betis, Quique Setién to replace Ernesto Valverde.

For Setién, there is excitement. Aged 61, this is the job he most covets. A former coach of Las Palmas and Real Betis, Setién led the latter to a stunning 4-3 victory at the Camp Nou in which his team were judged to have ‘out-Barcelona’ Barcelona.

The former Spain international is committed to a style based on possession and technique, a professed admirer of Sergio Busquets and Lionel Messi, and once said he would have cut off his finger to play for Johan Cruyff.

Do check out:

😎TechnoSports-stay UPDATED😎

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More like this

Barcelona Confirm Dani Olmo's 3-Week Absence Due to Adductor Injury

Barcelona Confirm Dani Olmo’s 3-Week Absence Due to Adductor...

Barcelona have officially confirmed that Dani Olmo will be out of action for the next three weeks...
Barcelona's Midfield Blow: Marc Casadó Ruled Out for Season with Knee Injury

Barcelona’s Midfield Blow: Marc Casadó Ruled Out for Season...

Barcelona’s promising midfielder Marc Casadó has been ruled out for the remainder of the season after sustaining...
Why Was Barcelona vs. Osasuna Postponed?

Why Was Barcelona vs Osasuna La Liga Match Postponed?

Barcelona's LaLiga fixture against Osasuna, scheduled for Saturday, was unexpectedly called off just 20 minutes before kickoff...
Barcelona vs Rayo Vallecano

Barcelona vs Rayo Vallecano: A Night of Drama at...

The Barcelona vs Rayo Vallecano match promised fireworks, and it delivered in spades. On a crisp Saturday...
Robert Lewandowski Commits Future to Barcelona with Contract Extension Until The Summer Of 2026

Robert Lewandowski Commits Future to Barcelona with Contract Extension...

Robert Lewandowski has agreed to extend his stay at Barcelona, securing an additional year with the La...

LATEST NEWS

OnePlus 13T Sets New AnTuTu Record with Over 3 Million Score

The OnePlus 13T is just weeks away from its official launch, but it has already made an impressive appearance on AnTuTu. Well, according to...

ISL 2024-25: Javi Hernandez’s Late Heroics Hand Jamshedpur FC Crucial First-Leg Edge Over Mohun Bagan Super Giant

Jamshedpur FC took a significant step towards the Indian Super League (ISL) 2024-25 final with a dramatic 2-1 victory over Mohun Bagan Super Giant...

Smart Samsung Cooling: Goodbye Sleepless Summers with Style!

Imagine a world where your air conditioner and fan work in perfect harmony, creating the ideal sleeping environment without you lifting a finger. Samsung...

IPL 2025: Venkatesh, Arora Star as KKR Hand SRH Their Biggest-Ever Loss

Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) rediscovered their explosive batting form in Mumbai, while Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) continued their struggles, suffering a third consecutive defeat despite...

Featured